Virtual Training Programme
Access to the Learning Platform – from 3rd May 2024
Live Tutor Session - 17th May 2024 - 9:30 - 12:30 hrs
About this training
This online training course provides an in-depth understanding of how to apply to the four UK regulators for a Permit or Waste Management License.
The course aims to improve the delegates’ understanding of how to produce a good permit / license application, when and how to source external technical support, and provide an overview of what your legal obligations are, when operating under a permit/license.
To ensure that information is up-to-date and accurate, this course has been developed with input from the waste industry, consultants with regulatory experience and experienced training professionals.
Please note: The course content will be reviewed and updated regularly to reflect current legislation and guidance, therefore content is based on source documentation at the time of drafting.
MODULE 1- eLearning course (4 hour- to be taken no later than one week prior virtual tutorial)
What will I learn?
- Understand how environmental permitting and waste management licensing has evolved and how associated legislation applies to waste sites.
- Know when different exemptions, licenses, permits and exclusions apply.
- Understand the process for applying for a permit or license, including timescales.
- Signpost to useful regulatory guidance and templates applicable to the waste industry.
- Understand how to complete the application forms and supporting documentation including how to complete an Environmental Risk Assessment and how to present an assessment of the proposed activities and techniques against applicable guidance and legislative standards*.
- Identify when and how to transfer, change (vary) and surrender your permit.
- Know when and how to secure external technical support.
- Signpost to follow-on CIWM courses and regulatory guidance to ensure on-going compliance with your permit, once issued by the regulator.
MODULE 2- Activities - (30 mins) to be taken no later than one week prior virtual tutorial
Candidates will be required to complete two activities prior to the tutorial session.
MODULE 3 (3 hour) - Virtual Tutorial - 7th March 2024
What will I learn?
The tutorial will take a more detailed look at the eLearning topics, focusing on Environmental Risk Assessment and assessment of waste activities against applicable guidance:
- Definition of Operator
- Scope of Application
- Environmental Risk Assessments
- Operating Techniques
- Management Plans
- Site Condition Reports and Surrender Applications
- When and how to ask for help
- Forthcoming changes
Feedback will be provided on the example assessments completed by the delegates following their eLearning. There will be an opportunity to clarify learning points from the eLearning course and ask questions regarding specific permitting requirements.
The eLearning course must be completed, and pre-tutorial activities must be submitted for feedback at least one week prior to the date of the virtual tutorial.
Any learner queries must also be submitted at least one week prior to the tutorial to allow the tutor to prepare responses.
Who is the course for?
- Suitable for all members of staff at waste sites who need to know how to apply for or change a permit or license. The content is aimed at those in managerial or environmental technical support roles who are required to complete permit or license applications. The content is suitable for members of staff who may be new to an environmental or permitting role.
- This course would also be useful to project managers or those who use external consultants to prepare permit applications to better understand the process of securing a permit or license.
- Members of the management team who want to understand the process and timescales for securing an environmental permit would also find this course beneficial.
The course content is aimed at lower-risk waste facilities, such as waste transfer stations and recyclers but is generally relevant to all waste facilities. Complex operations, such as incinerators, are better covered in a bespoke course, which can be discussed with CIWM.
What are the entry requirements for this course?
You do not require any prior knowledge of waste regulations or waste management to enrol in this course. You need to complete the eLearning component and associated activities, prior to attending the tutorial.
How will I benefit from taking the course?
Once you have completed this training, you will understand the process for applying for a Permit or License in the UK. You will know where to access guidance to help you prepare the application documentation required to apply for a permit, and when to seek external technical support. Images, interactive elements, links and quizzes are used to help you understand and remember the course content.
You can continue your professional development by enrolling on one or more of the of the following: E-learning (ciwm.co.uk)
Duration: 7 hours (eLearning 4 hours plus 3 hour tutorial)
Legislation used: UK
Contributes to CPD: Yes
Consenting is a vast topic, and we aim to provide a good grounding to cover many common waste activities. However, it isn't possible to provide detailed guidance for all waste sites, particularly specialised or complex sites. In this instance, there is an opportunity to present specific queries to the tutor ahead of the tutorial who will endeavour to assist.
For some waste activities, we may recommend that you arrange a bespoke CIWM course tailored to your learning requirements. Speak to the training team who will advise you.
CIWM Member Rate: £485.10 + VAT
Non-Member Rate: £606.90 + VAT
Not a CIWM Member? Click here to join today and receive the member discount.
If your employer is a CIWM Affiliated Organisation, please contact email@example.com prior to booking to receive your exclusive discount.
TO BOOK PLEASE SIGN IN OR CREATE AN ACCOUNT
If you experience any issues with your booking then please contact the Operations Team on 01604 620426
For a seamless booking experience, please use Google Chrome as your internet browser.