Environmental Permitting Operators Certificate
Become a ‘technically competent person’ to manage a waste site.
To meet the requirements of the CIWM (WAMITAB) Operator Competence Scheme, technically competent people must demonstrate primary competence by completing a qualification, units and/or training programme(s) which demonstrate they have the knowledge and skills to ensure waste sites comply with Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations.
The Environmental Permitting Operators Certificate (EPOC) is a two-day training programme held by CIWM with a short multiple choice question test at the end. The training uses a range of presentations, discussions, case studies and exercises to ensure that you are technically competent and know how to comply with an environmental permit.
The EPOC can be used as evidence of technical competence for low risk sites according to the risk tier table or to gain a 12 month grace period for new permit applications during which you can undertake the relevant 6 or 12 unit qualification (not applicable to landfill).
What’s in it for me?
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- understand the systems required to protect the environment and ensure compliance with an environmental permit
- understand how to assess the environmental impact of work activities and how this can be minimised
- identify your responsibilities and appropriate actions in a range of potential scenarios to comply with the permit
- understand the regulatory framework and policies relevant to waste and resource management facilities
- understand the legislation and policies relevant to responsibilities within the waste and resource management industry
- understand the hazardous waste requirements
- know the main requirements of health and safety legislation in the waste and resource management industry
- understand the hazards, risks, control measures and monitoring associated with a waste and resource management environment
Who should attend?
Technically competent Managers (TCM)
Site Manager and Supervisors
People applying for an environmental permit from the Environment Agency or Natural Resources Wales