Introduction to the management of waste and resources
This course will give you hands-on knowledge and skills you can apply directly in your day-to-day job.
It is delivered in a classroom style with exercises and covers:
- Introduction to the waste industry
- National waste strategies
- Introduction to waste legislation
- The circular economy and waste prevention
- Waste auditing
- Landfill directive and collections legislation
- Collection of wastes
- Treatment of bio-degradable wastes
Practical Waste Management
This course will give you a comprehensive introductory overview of resource and waste management in the UK, including real-world insights from experts.
It is delivered in a lecture style by 10 professionals who work within the industry.
- The essential role of the UK waste and resource industry
- How waste management policy impacts on practice
- Recycling and Extended Producer Responsibility
- Brief history of waste legislation and regulations
- Transfer stations and MRF operations
- Introduction to biological treatment
- The role of the Environment Agency
- Landfill site design, planning, engineering and monitoring operations
- Behaviour of waste in landfill
- Thermal treatment of wastes
- Site visits to a materials recovery facility (MRF) and an end of life vehicle facility
The WasteSmart training programme is specially designed to help employees consider resources and waste in everything they do in order to have a positive impact on:
- Improving resource use
- Cutting waste
- Complying with waste regulations
- Demonstrating commitment to improved environmental performance
- Saving money - as well as the planet
With a choice of classroom-based learning or e-learning, WasteSmart is quick and accessible, easy to digest and can be turned into direct action in the workplace.
Click here to find out more about WasteSmart courses.