Is Licentiate membership right for me?
Licentiate membership is often achieved by CIWM Graduate members and is popular with those in the early to mid-stages of developing their career.
It’s perfect for you if you have a degree, a minimum of one year's experience in the resources & wastes management sector and have undergone vocational training, which may consist of one or more of the following:
- Satisfactory completion of a module of a relevant, approved post-graduate course
- Satisfactory completion of a full waste management COTC at NVQ level 4 awarded by WAMITAB, City and Guilds or SQA
- Satisfactory completion of the HNC in Wastes Management/Foundation Degree in wastes management
- Satisfactory completion of the Open University's Diploma in Pollution Control
- Satisfactory completion of a relevant Higher Level Award (HLA) at level 4
If you have completed any other training which you think may be suitable, please contact our membership team to see if it meets our entry criteria for Licentiate Membership.
As you progress in your career, many Licentiate members choose to become Chartered members. This professional grade demonstrates further experience and is a professional qualification (Chartered Waste Manager) that can be achieved through the demonstration of key competencies that you have gained from practical experience in wastes management. Visit the Chartered membership page for more.
Membership grade review
Following an extensive member consultation, it has been decided that, subject to a decision from the Privy Council, this CIWM membership grade will be brought into our Associate membership. This is aimed at simplifying and modernising the CIWM member grade structure. Given the process involved in changing this structure, we can’t presently offer a completion date for this. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have.