Health & Safety SIG
The purpose of this Special Interest Group is to act as a forum for information exchange relating to Health, Safety and Welfare (HS&W) in the waste and resource management industry in the UK and Ireland. The SIG shall have a plan setting out the way in which CIWM will influence and engage with the sector in order to actively contribute to improving of the health, safety welfare performance of the industry.
To achieve its aim the Special Interest Group will:
- Ensure that members are kept up-to-date with emerging legislation relating to HS&W matters.
- Share and disseminate information on HS&W matters concerning waste and resource management practices via the CIWM web pages, CIWM Journal (online and hard copy), News Online, Twitter, LinkedIn and any other suitable media.
- Promote and manage the CIWM Health, Safety and Welfare Pledge, "Stay Safe, Save Lives".
- Promote HS&W related issues to members for continuing professional development (CPD) purposes.
- Promote debate and discussion on topical specialised issues relating to HS&W.
- Provide and promote guidance for better HS&W as part of a process of continuous improvement for health and safety professionals in waste and resource management.
- Respond where necessary to consultation documents issued by governments and regulatory bodies, relating to HS&W in waste management.
- Liaise with Governments in the UK and Ireland and associated bodies/agencies.
- Co-operate with other CIWM technical and strategic groups and those within the wider industry with regard to information dissemination to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Act as a resource of technical expertise to the Institution in relation to policy, legislation and best practice on the subject of health and safety and welfare.
- Work in partnership with other organisations with an interest in HS&W. e.g. WISH, WISH NI, IWISH, SWITCH, IOSH and ROSPA.
- Work towards achieving the objectives of the WISH Strategy - Blueprint 2013-2015 to which CIWM is committed and has signed up to.
The work of the Special Interest Group is coordinated by a steering committee that reports to the CIWM Scientific & Technical Committee.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in health, safety and welfare in waste and resource management and related sectors as well as those with "grass roots" practical experience. CIWM membership is not a pre-requisite, although we hope that this will be a natural progression for those interested in keeping up-to-date with information and progression of their career.
If you would like to join this Group or the Steering Committee, comment on or contribute to the work of this Group please contact the technical department:
Tel: + 44 (0) 1604 620426
Fax: + 44 (0) 1604 621339
CIWM Health, Safety and Welfare Pledge
Sign up today