Biological Treatment SIG
The purpose of this Special Interest Group is to act as a forum for information exchange relating to the biological treatment (aerobic and anaerobic) of biodegradable wastes within the UK.
To achieve its aim the Special Interest Group will:
- Investigate and report on new techniques or technologies for composting, anaerobic digestion, land remediation or other processes involving biological treatments.
- Promote debate and discussion on topical specialised issues relating to biological treatment.
- Ensure that members are kept up-to-date with emerging legislation, both International and the UK, relating to all biological treatment storage, transportation and processing.
- Share information on environmental matters concerning biological waste treatment currently in practice.
- Respond where necessary to consultation documents issued by Government and International bodies relating to biological waste treatment.
- Liaise with Government departments and other organisations working within the biological treatment sector.
- Provide guidance and specify training requirements for better biological treatment as part of a process of continuous improvement for biological treatment professionals.
- Co-operate with other CIWM technical and strategic groups and those within the wider industry with regard to information dissemination to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Act as a resource of technical expertise to the Chartered Institution in relation to policy, legislation and practice on the subject of biological treatment of waste.
- Operate in partnership with Association for Organic Recycling (AFOR).
The work of the Special Interest Group is coordinated by a steering committee that reports to the CIWM Scientific & Technical Committee.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in composting, anaerobic digestion and contaminated land and related sectors including students and those with "grass roots" practical experience. CIWM membership is not a pre-requisite, although we hope that this will be a natural progression for those interested in keeping up-to-date with information and progression of their career.