foundation course will provide you with the knowledge and understanding
necessary to make astute and efficient waste-related decisions, whilst
increasing sustainability and improving performance.
Who is this course for?
Anyone who generates, handles or manages waste within your
organisation. It is also suitable for students who wish to compliment
academic learning with a professional certificate.
What you will learn
The course will provide you with the knowledge and understanding to:
- Prevent wastes arising from workplace activities
- Contribute to improving the management of wastes that are unavoidable
- Gain confidence in dealing with waste correctly
- Receive recognition for dealing with waste sustainably
- Reduce your waste costs
- Demonstrate your commitment to legal compliance and to operating sustainably
The content is covered over 5 modules:
Module 1 – Waste as a Resource
- Explain the different types of resources used by organisations when producing goods or providing a service
- Understand that any materials that are discarded are classified
as waste, that there are different ways of describing wastes and that
waste has a legal definition
- Understand the importance of complying with relevant legislation
- Understand that it is the producer who defines whether a residue
or output is a waste and that it remains waste until it has been fully
Module 2 – The environmental impact of waste
- Explain how the extraction of virgin materials impacts on the
environment and why our reliance on virgin materials is not sustainable
- Understand that it is not environmentally sustainable to continue to discard materials that could replace virgin materials
Module 3 – The costs of managing waste
- Understand that there are hidden costs to managing wastes
- Explain the real costs of waste disposal, where those costs arise and the impact on businesses
Module 4 – Understanding and applying the waste hierarchy
- Describe the Waste Hierarchy and understand different treatment option in relation to the Waste Hierarchy
- Use the Waste Hierarchy to identify different options for the management of resources and wastes in your own organisations.
Module 5 – Legislation and ensuring compliance
- Understand that waste legislation aims to ensure that waste is
recovered or disposed of without endangering human health and minimising
potential harm to the environment.
- Understand that:
- UK waste legislation mainly derives from EU Directives & Regulations.
- EU legislation is implemented in the UK through either primary or secondary legislation.
- Understand the role of guidance in relation to primary and secondary legislation.
* There is a short multi-choice test at the end of the course with a pass mark of 77%. Delegates who successfully pass the assessment can download a certificate supported by the Environment Agency, Environmental Services Association, Defra and WRAP.
Duration: 3 hours
This course contributes to CPD
Special Online Booking Fee
£104.50 + VAT - CIWM Members (Standard Rate £110 + VAT)
£130 + VAT - Non Members (Standard Rate £138 + VAT)
To book this training you must sign in or create an account - please complete this process on the right of this page.
If you have booked online with us before or think you may have an account but don't know your password please click “Forgot
Password” which will generate a box asking you to enter your username –
this will be your email address. Once you’ve done this an email will be sent to you which contains a link
which will allow you to create a new password (if you don’t receive
this email please check your junk folder or contact CIWM events team on
01604 823342 for assistance).
Accessing the course
Once you have booked you will be emailed with a username, password and a
link to access the training.