Training Course Summary - EPOC
DATE: 16th and 17th April 2024
About this training
To meet the requirements of the CIWM (WAMITAB) Operator Competence Scheme, technically competent people must demonstrate primary competence by completing a qualification, units and/or training programme(s) which demonstrate they have the knowledge and skills to ensure waste sites comply with Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations.
The Environmental Permitting Operators Certificate (EPOC) is a two-day training programme held by CIWM with a short multiple choice question test at the end. The training uses a range of presentations, discussions, case studies and exercises to ensure that you are technically competent and know how to comply with an environmental permit.
The EPOC can be used as evidence of technical competence for low risk sites according to the risk tier table or to gain a 12 month grace period for new permit applications during which you can undertake the relevant 6 or 12 unit qualification (not applicable to landfill).
What will I learn on the course?
- Understand the systems required to protect the environment and ensure compliance with an environmental permit
- Understand how to assess the environmental impact of work activities and how this can be minimised
- Identify your responsibilities and appropriate actions in a range of potential scenarios to comply with the permit
- Understand the regulatory framework and policies relevant to waste and resource management facilities
- Understand the legislation and policies relevant to responsibilities within the waste and resource management industry
- Understand the hazardous waste requirements
- Know the main requirements of health and safety legislation in the waste and resource management industry
- Understand the hazards, risks, control measures and monitoring associated with a waste and resource management environment
Who is it for?
- Technically competent managers (TCM)
- Site managers and supervisors
- People applying for an environmental permit from the Environment Agency or Natural Resources Wales
What are the entry requirements for this course?
This course is open entry. This means that those interested in undertaking this training programme do not require any other qualifications or levels of attainment. However, you will need to be employed in a suitable position or be familiar with the working environment.
How will I benefit from taking the course?
Once you have completed this training, you will be able to act as the technically competent manager (TCM) for certain low risk rites according to the risk tier table or use the EPOC as evidence to gain a 12 month grace period for new permit applications during which you can undertake the relevant 6 or 12 unit qualification (not applicable to landfill).
You can continue your professional development by enrolling on one of the Operator Competence Scheme qualifications – click here to access a full list.
Duration: Two days
Assessment: Multiple Choice Question Paper
Re-sits: If you do not pass the exam paper on the second day of the course, you will be offered an opportunity to take a new paper on the next available course date. The re-sit fee will be 5% of the original course fee.
Contributes to CPD: Yes
Standard Rate - £1377.60 + VAT
Member (20% discount) - £1102.50 + VAT
All course materials plus Refreshments and lunch
Not a CIWM Member? Click here to join today and receive the member discount.
If your employer is a CIWM Affiliated Organisation, please contact email@example.com prior to booking to receive your exclusive discount.
TO BOOK PLEASE SIGN IN OR CREATE AN ACCOUNT
If you experience any issues with your booking then please contact the Operations Team on
Please Note - For a seamless booking experience, please use Google Chrome as your internet browser.