CIWM Group Inclusion, Diversity and Equality Statement
CIWM is a company incorporated by Royal Charter and a registered charity. It is the sole member of the charity WAMITAB and owns CIWM Enterprises Ltd, its trading arm. This statement applies to all bodies in the CIWM Group.
The role of a Professional Body is to promote high standards of conduct, relevant to its area of influence and activity. This entails exploring, establishing and disseminating good practice and promoting awareness of relevant legal requirements and obligations.
Inclusivity, Diversity and Equality is one of a number of areas that CIWM considers to be important because it is fundamental to professional behaviour and learning, and integral to the wellbeing of our society. CIWM seeks to lead the sector by promoting awareness and providing appropriate guidance.
The Equality Act 2010 defines discrimination in the UK as treating a person less favourably than someone else, where the reason for less favourable treatment is one or more of the following characteristics: age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage or civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation.
Positive discrimination is unlawful in the UK under the Equality Act 2010. However, it is lawful under Section 158 of the Equality Act 2010 for an employer to take positive action to compensate for disadvantages it reasonably believes are faced by people who share a protected characteristic. Positive action is also allowed in relation to recruitment and promotion in limited circumstances which are covered in Section 159 of the Act (www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/159)
The CIWM Group seeks to build on legislation and encourage its members, the sector and society to do the right thing. The Group is committed to:
- Inclusion and Diversity
- Challenging prejudice and discrimination.
CIWM will promote awareness of relevant legal requirements and obligations, and encourage its members to explore, establish and disseminate good practice. CIWM is also committed to demonstrating this through its own internal practices.
CIWM will actively promote education and good standards in the practices of the sector and the conduct of all its members, and therefore the CIWM Group wholeheartedly supports:
- Positive organisation cultures which support equality, diversity and inclusion
- Equality, diversity and inclusion awareness, briefings and training
- Open recruitment practices
- Equality policies that support best practice
- Continuous improvement and Continuous Professional Development in practices and understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion.
Our members, as individuals, are expected to meet the standards of professional conduct of CIWM:
- To maintain good standards of practice, competence and conduct in this area as in others.
- Treat everyone with respect and to value them as individuals.
- Embrace diversity and the benefits that brings to the workplace.
- Have an inclusive approach to working, supporting and communicating with others.
- Hold others to account for maintaining these standards and to encourage and disseminate good practice.
Others outside of CIWM who may be from the sector or not, will also be expected to set and maintain the same good conduct and standards of professionalism in any involvement with the activities and events of, or business with, the CIWM Group. Breaches of these standards will be taken seriously, treated appropriately and discrimination will not be tolerated.
This statement will be kept under review by Trustees and considered as a fundamental area of professionalism in respect of the Professional Conduct Regulations and Practice Directions.