Waste Collection, Recycling & Environmental Cleansing SIG
The purpose of this Special Interest Group is to act as a forum for information exchange relating to collection and transport (residual and recyclables) and environmental cleansing within the UK.
CIWM is following closely the information releases from the UK Governments on Covid-19 and waste collection. Guidance on waste collection prioritisation during the pandemic has been issued by England and Wales, and Defra has published social media content for the general public on the correct disposal of PPE from non-healthcare settings on Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook.
To achieve its aim the Special Interest Group will:
- Disseminate information on best practice and new developments within the collection, recycling and environmental cleansing profession.
- Ensure that members are kept up-to-date with emerging legislation both International and the UK, relating to collection, recycling and environmental cleansing.
- Share information on environmental matters concerning collection, recycling and environmental cleansing.
- Promote debate and discussion on topical specialised issues relating to collection, recycling and environmental cleansing.
- Provide guidance and specify training requirements for better collection, transport and cleansing as part of a process of continuous improvement for collection,
recycling and environmental cleansing professionals.
- Respond where necessary to consultation documents issued by Government and International bodies relating to collection, recycling and environmental cleansing.
- Liaise with Government departments and other organisations working within the collection, recycling and environmental cleansing sector.
- Co-operate with other CIWM technical and strategic groups and thoaczase within the wider industry with regard to information dissemination to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Act as a resource of technical expertise to the Chartered Institution in relation to policy, legislation and practice on the subject of collection, recycling and environmental cleansing.
The work of the Special Interest Group is coordinated by a steering committee that reports to the CIWM Scientific & Technical Committee.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in collection, recycling and environmental cleansing including students and those with "grass roots" practical experience. CIWM membership is not a pre-requisite, although we hope that this will be a natural progression for those interested in keeping up-to-date with information and progression of their career.