Healthcare Waste SIG
The purpose of this Special Interest Group is to act as a forum for information exchange relating to healthcare waste (treatment, disposal, collection and prevention etc) from domestic, commercial and industrial sectors within the UK.
CIWM is following closely the information releases from the UK Governments on Covid-19 and the four UK countries have now issued joint official COVID-19 guidance for infection prevention and control in healthcare settings. This official guidance was produced jointly by the Department of Health and Social Care, Public Health Wales, Public Health Agency (Northern Ireland), Health Protection Scotland and Public Health England and is available here. There is also a Waste Management Standard Operating Procedure for England and Wales available here.
To achieve its aim the Special Interest Group will:
- Promote debate and discussion on topical specialised issues relating to healthcare waste management and resource efficiency.
- Identify and examine emerging technological options and best practice in healthcare waste management.
- Identify the role of healthcare waste management and resource efficiency within Government strategies, including procurement, climate change and waste.
- Ensure that members are kept up-to-date with emerging legislation and information from both International and the UK and Ireland, relating to healthcare waste management and resource efficiency, including environmental matters concerned with this.
- Respond where necessary to consultation documents issued by Governments, regulators, public bodies and International bodies relating to healthcare waste management and resource efficiency.
- Liaise with Government departments, other organisations, relevant bodies and regulators working within the healthcare waste sector.
- Provide guidance and share information on training and education requirements for better healthcare waste management as part of a process of continuous improvement for healthcare waste professionals.
- Provide advice and guidance on environmental matters concerning healthcare waste.
- Co-operate with other CIWM technical and strategic groups and those within the wider industry with regard to information dissemination to avoid duplication of efforts.
- Act as a resource of technical expertise to the Chartered Institution in relation to policy, legislation and practice on the subject of healthcare waste.
The work of the Special Interest Group is co-ordinated by a steering committee that reports to the CIWM Scientific & Technical Committee.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in healthcare waste and related sectors including students and those with "grass roots" practical experience. CIWM membership is not a pre-requisite, although we hope that this will be a natural progression for those interested in keeping up-to-date with information and progression of their career.