Going Electric: Waste Collection and the Ultra-Low Emission Zone
Date: Friday 26 July 2019
Time: 15:00 hrs to 17:30 hrs (Please arrive at 15:00 hrs for registration. Presentations will start promptly at 15:15 hrs)
Venue: Heart of London Business Alliance, Empire House, 175 Piccadilly, London, W1J 9EN.
The London and Southern Counties New Members Network is hosting an event to discuss alternative fuels for waste collection and transportation in the context of the newly introduced Ultra Low Emission Zone in central London.
The Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) came into effect in central London from 8th April 2019 and places a renewed emphasis reducing emissions from vehicle fleets. The ULEZ currently covers most of Central London, including the City of London and Westminster areas. The ULEZ will be expanded to cover most of Greater London from October 2021, accounting for the entire area between the North and South Circular roads. Across the UK the ultimate aim is to phase out both petrol and diesel vehicles with an outright ban currently set for 2040. Consequently, fleet operators in the waste industry will be actively looking at how they can improve the environmental performance of their vehicles as well as looking at alternative modes of transport such as vessels on the Thames.
We have invited a range of speakers to discuss waste transport on lower emission vehicles and vessels to learn about the challenges of implementing such measures. The event will conclude with a vehicle display on Trafalgar Square showcasing Westminster City Council waste and street cleansing collection vehicles.
- Sarahjane Widdowson, Business Area Manager – Waste Operations and Procurement, Ricardo AEA - Transitioning to an electric fleet
- Sefinat Otaru, Business Engagement Officer, Cross River Partnership - Retrofitting vessels for cleaner emissions (Thames 21)
- Amandeep Kellay, Sustainable Travel Manager, Better Bankside - Use of electric vehicles in waste collection
- Graham Howlett, UK Sales and Marketing Manager, Johnston Sweepers Ltd - Alternative fuel Options
- Waste Collection Vehicle Display including newly commissioned electric vehicle fleet hosted by Westminster City Council (Trafalgar Square)
Trafalgar Square – Vehicle Display
A vehicle display hosted by Westminster City Council will be on show at Trafalgar square. Trafalgar square is approximately a 10 minute walk from Heart of London Business Alliance. We will travel as a group to Trafalgar Square however it will be your responsibility to ensure you arrive at the destination.
This event is open to all CIWM Members and, non members are encouraged to join if they attend with a member. Delegate places are limited, we strongly advise you to book early to avoid disappointment. The closing date for booking is Tuesday 23 July.
TO BOOK PLEASE SIGN IN OR CREATE AN ACCOUNT
If you experience any issues with your booking then please contact the Member Support Team on 01604 620426