Landfills: Closure, Aftercare and Economy
For any landfill - gain an understanding of the core areas underpinning: attainment of environmental stabilisation; closure and an overview of post closure management principles. Go on to explore possible end use solutions with the potential for a positive economic return on investment.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Identify landfill closure constraints including health, safety and legal issues;
- Interpret key in situ processes relating to gas, hydrology and geotechnical issues within a closed landfill;
- Identify requirements for the closure plan and requirements for proof of stabilisation;
- Identify key requirements for post-closure management of sites
- Prioritise potential options for site development including understanding risks and requirements for monitoring and the due diligence process;
- Evaluate opportunities for maximising economic returns from a closed landfill.
This two day course will be delivered as an interactive workshop looking at case studies as well as opportunities to explore the more theoretical aspects governing closed landfills using a workbook which delegates can retain for future reference.
Is this course right for me?
This closed landfill course is suitable for professionals involved in or responsible for the management of closed landfills (either historically or recently closed or even for sites about to close), as well as anyone considering a closure plan or seeking to attain a cost effective solution to the complex requirements of landfill site closure.
If your goal is to transform the costly liabilities of a closed landfill to a revenue-generating new development or end use then this course will highlight potential opportunities and how to implement them.
The course will take place over two days and will include interactive workshops following case studies and theory. Delegates will be led through a progressive and challenging review, analysis and interpretation of a real (anonymous) case study situation for a ‘closed landfill’, based on hand-picked and carefully screened data. Solutions will be compared and contrasted with examples drawn from international experience.
The learning experience is interactive, and will be facilitated by experts with extensive practical engineering experience of landfill and landfill closure development.
The course provides guidance on and signposting to appropriate background legislation, policy, guidance and experience derived from relevant projects and activities such as: ACUMEN; current Regulator strategy and guidance; Industry best practice; and development regulation and planning guidelines.