Gain a comprehensive understanding of how leachate is generated, its chemical characteristics and how it can be treated consistently, reliably and safely.
Is this course right for me?
This two day residential course is suitable for anyone who is involved in the
management, disposal, treatment, and regulation or monitoring of
landfill leachate treatment facilities.
The course focuses on
the management of leachate at both closed and operational landfills,
with site visits to one of each on Day 2 and, also includes technical sessions including description of key contaminants present in leachates, leachate generation calculations and case studies of many landfills and their leachate treatment systems. It is delivered by experts who have been responsible for the design and
commissioning of more than 100 leachate treatment plants in the UK and
overseas, and have drafted much of the UK Government guidance on
leachate management and treatment during the last 25 years.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
• Explain the basic principles of leachate generation
• Identify the key contaminants within leachate and the risks that they pose
• Identify of the most commonly adopted treatment processes and systems in the UK and overseas, including methane stripping, chemical treatment, various biological processes, and polishing processes.
• Be aware of the various options for procurement of leachate treatment plants and key engineering constraints and construction issues to be considered.
Day 2 will be spent on site visits to two landfills where state-of-the-art on-site leachate treatment plants will be shown and described to delegates. (Please bring safety footwear, hard hat, glasses and full-body (long-sleeved) hi-vis).
What key points will the training cover?
• Basic principles of leachate generation
• Key contaminants in leachate and their risks and management
• Commonly adopted treatment processes
• Case studies of actual treatment processes and systems in the UK and overseas including:
• Methane stripping
• Chemical treatment
• Various biological treatment systems
• Nitrification and denitrification
• Polishing processes (ultrafiltration, reed bed treatment, ozonation, ion exchange etc.)
• Discussion of various options for procurement of leachate treatment plants
• Discussion of key engineering constraints and construction issues
Who should attend?
This is suitable for technical staff working in landfill site operations, or design and regulation, with day to-day responsibility for the monitoring of leachate generated by landfills, or the operation, monitoring or regulation of leachate treatment facilities.
Member: £754.20 + VAT
Non-Member: £964 + VAT
As we are now within 2 weeks of the course start date, unfortunately the course venue is not able to provide accommodation for new bookings as of 4/11/17. To reflect this change, the course price has been reduced for both CIWM members and non-members. Should you need accommodation to attend this training you will be required to source and book this separately to your course booking.
All course materials plus:
Day 1: lunch
Day 2: lunch
CPD: 12 hours
TO BOOK PLEASE SIGN IN OR CREATE AN ACCOUNT ABOVE
Click here for other landfill course dates
To discuss your requirements in more detail please contact the Training Team on 01604 823341 or email email@example.com