Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
In line with other professional bodies the Institution has a scheme of Continuing Professional Development.
It is considered a professional obligation to undertake CPD under the Institution's Code of Conduct, and part of the individual's professional responsibility to maintain standards by keeping up-to-date.
Members and Fellows are expected to demonstrate a minimum of 30 hours of CPD over a 12 month period, covering a range of related topics. It is now also a requirement that an element of Health & Safety is included as part of Members' CPD activities.
A small, random selection of Members and Fellows are surveyed each month and requested to submit their CPD records for the previous 12 months. The data is analysed by the Education and Training team and feedback given on any areas for potential improvement.
Qualifying activities include:-
- All CIWM seminars, training courses, technical meetings, centre events and e-learning
- The annual CIWM Conference in London each June, the Scottish Waste and Resources Conference (SWRC) in Glasgow each October, and the annual CIWM Wales Conference and the annual CIWM Northern Ireland Conference
- CIWM's exhibition - RWM In Partnership with CIWM, taking place at the Birmingham NEC in September
- Seminars, conferences, training courses, technical meetings, workshops and e-learning organised by other professional bodies, universities, colleges, local authorities, relevant trade associations and other course providers
CIWM Approve a number of external events for CPD purposes; a full list of these events can be found on our Approved Events page
CIWM Accredit some short courses by external providers for CPD purposes; a full list of these can be found on our Accredited Short Courses page
CIWM also Accredit a number of academic courses at various levels; a full list of these courses and further details can be found on our Qualifications page
- Relevant committees and working parties
- Academic courses or supervised research, normally with an academic establishment
- Flexible, open learning programmes
- Structured reading of CIWM Journal, CWRM Online Journal and News Online
- In-house training/briefing sessions, or other work related activities
- Site visits
- Technical authorship or preparation of relevant lectures, training sessions or seminar papers
CIWM Members qualify for 10% discount on the Open University CPD Modules.
There are several methods of recording CPD.
Further advice and guidance can be obtained from the Education & Training department:
Tel: + 44 (0) 1604 620426
Fax: + 44 (0) 1604 621339